All women incarcerated by the State of Iowa are processed and housed at the Iowa Correctional Institution for Women [ICIW] in Mitchellville.
- Average annual cost per person – $31,145
- Median age of ICIW resident – 35
- Women serving life sentences – 42
- Sentences for non-violent crimes – 74%
- Serving mandatory minimums – 25%
- Most common crime – drug offenses
- Average reading grade level – 9.7
- Women having chronic and persistent mental illnesses in categories of schizophrenia, recurrent major depressive disorders, bipolar disorders, other chronic & recurrent psychosis, dementia & other organic disorders – 52%
- Women with a chronic mental illness – 75%
- Women who will serve their sentences and return to our communities – 94%
77% of the women have at least one biological child, three quarters of whom are minor children
* FIWP thanks the Iowa Depart of Corrections’ providing the statistics included above.