MEETING TIME AND LOCATION
Tuesday, July 18, 2017
Wesley United Methodist Church
800 E. 12th Street
Des Moines, IA 50316-4304
Brown bag lunch
CALL TO ORDER AND GROUP INTRODUCTIONS:
READING OF LAST MONTH’S MEETING MINUTES AND APPROVE:
OFFICER COMMITTEE REPORTS:
Chairman: Kirk Nesset
Treasurer: Maryls Hocker
Scholarship Report: Joyce Knock
Secretary: Open Position
UNFINISHED BUSINESS: N/A
- Monthly data from ICIW
- 722 as of 7/12/17 – of those, 120 are MLO (minimum live-out)
- 86 released – June 2017
- 78 admits – June 2017
- Average length of stay per Statewide Recidivism Reduction gap analysis – 4.5 months
- ICIW Interventions: In general, interventions consist of approximately 24 (1.5-2 hour) sessions. Sessions typically help 1-2 times per week. This is approximate and varies a bit by curriculum. Seeking Safety is specifically focused on coping with trauma symptoms and not overall behavior or recidivism reduction, and is shorter in length. The interventions provided have been reviewed, are research based, and found to be proven or promising at reducing recidivism.
- Thinking for Change
- Moving On
- Cognitive Behavioral Intervention for Substance Abuse (CBI-SA)
- Seeking Safety
- Achieving Change Through Value Based Behavior (ACTV – pronounced “active”):
- In process of initiating. Three counselors trained and in process of facilitator certification process. Expect to implement groups in August/September.
- DMACC Education:
- Life Skills
- Volunteer Needs: Volunteer needs continue to be for Library staffing.
(Goals for the remaining months) and future meetings
This month we will have the honor of having Marty Ryan and Stephanie Fawkes-Lee to discuss the public policy relating to the women that we support at ICIW and other correctional facilities around the state.