There is a positive approach
to addressing crime . .
- Advocate for statewide humanitarian attitude toward prisoners in order to support rehabilitation of offenders, most of whom will return to our communities.
- Advocate for effective re-entry programming.
- Advocate for increased use of community-based corrections, especially for women convicted of non-violent offenses.
- Advocate for responding to the special needs of women in prison and their families.
- Since women offenders demonstrate a much higher rate of mental illness and substance abuse than men, advocate for increased treatment for women.
- Advocate for policies and funding that will result in a reduction of the number of women incarcerated in the state of Iowa.
- Create specific programming and funding to rehabilitate Iowa’s women prisoners and encourage their successful reintegration into society.
- Encourage other groups and individuals to volunteer in corrections and provide programs and projects designed to improve the lives of women while in prison and once released.
- Encourage hiring of more female correction officers.